First, a few Quick F.Y.I’s:
1. I became a fan of SNSD about 7 1/2 years ago through their Japanese songs since I have been self studying the language for a good amount of time. I do not speak Korean, but I am interested in learning it once I feel more confident in my Japanese language skills.
2. I have watched all of Channel SNSD, Jessica and Krystal but this is my FIRST time watching “Girls Go to School.” Please no spoilers in the comments XD lol if it’s possible to spoil irl stuff. I’m watching Soshified’s English sub of the series, as stated on the uploads I’m watching this is not for sale and subbed for fans by fans. All screencaps will be from that so if there’s anything I misunderstood, due to lack of knowing the language please correct me if you speak Korean.
3. It’s difficult for my to choose a fav. member but if I could only choose two it would be Sunny and Taeyeon. Sunny was my first favorite and then Taeyeon’s resilience and passion for music and her fellow members as the leader of GG, as well as her openness about struggling with depression really stood out to me.
4. Always feel to to comment on your thoughts about SNSD but please keep the drama to a minimum. I’m a fan of Girls Generation, ALL of them OT9, and prefer to ignore any speculative, tabloid news about the members. Remember they’re all human beings like us, and thus deserving of respect.
5. Sorry in advance if the editing here is not as high level as my other posts. I really want to keep these posts as stream of consciousness as I could so that I could record my very first thoughts of watching SNSD’s first variety show. Now let’s go~!
My Thoughts on Episode 1:
They’re all just so cute… I can’t even ❤ BABY FACED SNSD! All of the girls are getting dorms together and this show will be a behind the scenes look at their formation as a group. Sunny and Yuri are roommates. So are Tiffany and Seohyun, Hyoyeon and Jessica, and the final room has Taeyeon, Sooyoung and Yoona.
The Girl’s; specifically Seohyun, adorably beg for a P.A.R.T.Y~! The girls go shopping together. There are so many cute moments.Tae, Yoona and Sooyoung decide to stay behind and clean up/get ready for the house party.
To paraphrase the highly addictive in-depth Korean pop music podcast; K-pop Unmuted, it’s fascinating watching this from the perspective of today. When this show was recorded/broadcasted on Korean T.V. no one could have imagined how huge SNSD’s fanbase would become throughout Korea, Japan and also international fans. The girls all worked so hard for their dreams yet they’re all still real women. I really enjoy the humanization of “idols”, perhaps that one of the reasons why Sunny and Taeyeon are my two favorite members. They’re both very honest about how they feel, even if there are controversies about them speaking their minds about things they struggle with (Depression in Taeyeon’s case) and trusting their instincts (like when Sunny stood up to a creeper that was trying to drag Tae off of the stage during a Run Devil Run performance.)
Anyway, as GG prepare for their P.A.R.T.Y (this joke will never get old to me XD)…
So, there are two guys loitering around outside of the apartment and they plan to enter the dorm. Who could it be?!
It’s Leeteuk Hung and Shindong from Super Junior!
They’re such dorky boys… I’m sure they’ll fit in at the girl’s party nicely. XD Shindong admits that he was the one that put all of the balloons and decorations in the apartment for SNSD’s party.
After lighting candles on their P.A.R.T.Y cake the girls each make a wish for their fellow members and the success of their debut as a group.
More screencaps / highlights from this episode:
Yoona singing Into the New World with a voice full of helium is SUPER PRECIOUS! XD
SNSD is planning to have their first live performance on MCountdown where they will preform their song “Into the New World!” At least I think that’s what’s happening….
It’s odd that Jessica seems to bring up the discussion of weight. Perhaps it’s just edited to seem that way, this is a reality show after all. But I find it hilarious that Hyo says about being called Princess Fiona.
But I guess, Hyoyeon found out later that the person might have meant Princess Fiona from Dreamwork’s Shrek? Idk that still doesn’t mean the person was calling her “fat” or whatever, Idk. What do you guys think?
And then finally, they make their way to the School of Rock! I’m interested to see what will happen next. 🙂
TO MY FELLOW SONES: What were the highlights of this episode for you? Let me know in the comments and follow as I plan to write more as I watch SNSD – Girls Go to School for the first time.